Campaigns for global brands including Nescafé, McDonalds, OMO and Uber, as well as local brands, such as Al Tayer Motors, Byblos Bank, Jarir Bookstore and Saudi Telecom Company, are among the 16 winners of this year's WARC Prize for MENA Strategy.Now in its third year, the prize is in search of the best strategic marketing thinking that has driven results in the region. Free to enter, the winners of the Grand Prix and three Special Awards share a $10,000 prize fund.
The Grand Prix has been awarded to FP7 McCann Dubai for 'Uber Legends', for which ride-hailing app Uber converted its riders' data into fun and entertaining stories for a social and out-of-home campaign to increase rider loyalty by converting Uber riders into Uber brand advocates as well as attracting new customers in the United Arab Emirates. Uber identified surprising insights about different riders through analysing Uber riders' trip data and converted them into branded content that celebrated them.
The campaign also won the Research Excellence Special Award for the best use of research in the development of strategic ideas.
A further five Golds, four Silvers, six Bronzes and two other special awards, recognising specific areas of excellence, were also awarded by the judging panel made-up of 15 client- and agency-side top industry professionals chaired by Özge Zoralioğlu, Chief Marketing Officer, Yum! Brands / KFC MENAPak & Turkey, KFC.
Five of the winning entries are regional campaigns, with the other award-winning work for national markets - Saudi Arabia (3 awards), United Arab Emirates (3), Egypt (2), Lebanon (2), Tunisia (1).
Commenting on the winners, jury member Ziad Skaff, Managing Director, Hall & Partners, said: "Cases that were successful in this year's WARC Prize for MENA Strategy smartly and seamlessly integrated communications efforts into people's lives and experiences. They were even more compelling when brands adapted their approach and reshaped their activities as human engagement evolved."
The WARC Prize for MENA Strategy 2019 winners are:
• FP7 McCann Dubai · 'Uber Legends' · Uber · United Arab Emirates · + Research Excellence Special Award
• FP7/CAI, Good People · 'The Creative City' · Badya · Palm Hills Developments · Egypt
Real-estate developer Palm Hills Developments (PHD) used a combination of TV, social media and events to attract buyers to its new city of Badya in Egypt.
• FP7 McCann Dubai · 'The Right to Play' · OMO · Unilever · Middle East & North Africa
Detergent brand OMO ran a multichannel campaign that created a regionally relevant approach to its 'Dirt is Good' philosophy and increased sales volumes in the United Arab Emirates.
• J. Walter Thompson · 'Akhou Nora' · Saudi Telecom Company · Saudi Arabia
Saudi Telecom Company (STC) used a historically-based social media and video campaign to promote acceptance of women driving and enhance its brand metrics with women.
• FP7 McCann Dubai · 'Unseen Potential' · Al Tayer Motors · United Arab Emirates · + Local Hero Award
Car dealership Al Tayer Motors got its staff to create an art project from old car parts to showcase its dedication to service to drive brand preference in the UAE.
• FP7 McCann Dubai · '1/JBR - It's not for everyone' · Dubai Properties · Pan Arab: Real-estate developer Dubai
Properties used a multichannel approach aimed at alienating flashy customers to sell apartments in its new Jumeirah Beach Residences 1/JBR development.
• FP7 McCann Dubai · 'World Without Walls' · Babyshop · Landmark Group · United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Saudi Arabia
• FP7/CAI · 'University Pride' · Nescafé 3in1 · Nestlé · Egypt
• FP7 McCann Beirut · 'The Official Sponsors of Losers' · McDonald's · Lebanon
• Wunderman Dubai · 'Inspiring Coffee Corners' · Nescafé Dolce Gusto · Nestlé · Middle East & North Africa
• FP7 McCann Tunis · 'The Hashtagging Grandpa' · Orange Tunisia · Tunisia
• Wunderman Dubai · 'Kids Collection' · Jotun Fenomastic Wonderwall · Jotun · United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Oman, Qatar
• FP7 McCann Beirut · 'Make Small Victories' · Byblos Bank · Lebanon
• J. Walter Thompson · 'The Big Shutdown' · Saudi Telecom Company · Saudi Arabia
• J. Walter Thompson · 'Back to School Blues' · Jarir Bookstore · Saudi Arabia · + Brand Rebel Award
• FP7 McCann Dubai · 'While you wait...' · Emirates NBD · United Arab Emirates